Stockings are used for many situations.
- Athletic performance
- Many runners are using stockings to increase oxygen delivery, decrease lactic acid, minimize cramps and prevent muscle fatigue.
- Venous insufficiency
- Airline travel
- Bed ridden or inactive individuals
- Heaviness or aching in their legs
- Persons who stand or sit all day
- Prevention of blood clots
- Stockings are used to help prevent blood clots from forming. (putting pressure on the arteries prevents the artery from expanding thus preventing slow moving blood which increases the risk of blood clots.
Compression stockings come in many different degrees of pressure, lengths or colors. Buying a stocking off the shelf without any knowledge of what you are purchasing can be harmful to your health. There are trained professionals called garment fitters that can assist you. These garment fitters are usually attached to a pharmacy or store that supplies these types of stockings.
If you are receiving care from a massage therapist trained in Manual Lymph Drainage and Combined Decongestive Therapy they will be able to connect you with a garment fitter.